90 Years of Defiance
What has changed?
Photos: Berita Harian/Pusat Sejarah Rakyat’s archive, INSAN Magazine, and Aliran
We explore the history of student activism in Malaysia and its progression alongside the nation’s development since the 1930s.
What is student activism to you?
While I recognise that I have a responsibility to study, activism is about translating what we've learned.
What we do [reflects] our vision and our perspective on what we want this country to be.
Students can be independent, provided that they are allowed, encouraged, and trained to do so.
- Student activists are NOT rebellious youths who do not believe in order and rules
- Student activists are NOT mostly hot-blooded young men looking for a fight
- Student activism are NOT just about campus politics and student welfare
- Student activism CAN make a change
- Student activists CAN collaborate and work together with the government